Based at our Margate office, Andrew Baker leads our experienced team of employment law, litigation and personal injury solicitors and lawyers.
Andrew became a partner at Boys & Maughan in 1998, having joined in 1993 and qualifying as a solicitor in October 1995. He is a member of the firm's senior management team.
As a Margate and Kent litigation solicitor Andrew Baker:
- Advises companies and senior executives in all aspects of employment law
- Advises and acts in commercial litigation, where he has handled cases valued in excess of £1million
- Acts in general civil litigation claims, particularly property and construction disputes and wills and probate disputes
- Represents personal injury claimants, such as those with asbestos and industrial disease claims and people who have been involved in accidents at work, high value road traffic cases and catastrophic injuries.
A significant element of Andrew’s work involves providing employment law advice to businesses, public bodies and individuals across Kent. Examples of areas he can assist with include:
- Drafting settlement agreements
- Defending employers who are facing employment tribunals
- Re-drafting employment contracts and staff handbooks
- Helping businesses to manage risks and avoid disputes
- Representing you if you have been unfairly dismissed or been a victim of constructive dismissal
- Advice on whistle-blowing
- Helping businesses plan for redundancies
- Liaison with trades unions
- Auditing HR teams.
Responsible for providing wide-ranging employment and litigation advice, Andrew will often try a negotiated approach to litigation including mediation and alternative dispute resolution skills to keep legal costs down, where appropriate, but is equally capable of taking a robust approach where litigation is unavoidable.
Andrew Baker is a member of the Law Society Personal Injury specialist accreditation scheme and a Senior Litigator member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL). He is also a member of the Law Society’s Lexcel Panel, reflecting his skills in quality control systems and risk management.
In addition to advising clients, Andrew is a director of the Dreamland Trust, which was set up to deliver a 21st-century tourist attraction at Dreamland, Margate, based around the listed Scenic Railway and Cinema building.
Firmly rooted in Thanet’s business community, Andrew Baker has also been a Director of the Thanet and East Kent Chamber of Commerce and retains close ties with the Chamber.
Outside of the office Andrew is a keen sailor and when family duties permit can often be found racing his Hunter Sonata sailing boat.