Matt is a Partner and is the day to day manager of the litigation team, answering to and working with Andrew Baker, Boys & Maughan’s Senior Partner.
Matt deals with a broad range of dispute resolution instructions on behalf of businesses, public bodies, charities and individuals and you can call him on 01843 269302.
Matt is a well-respected litigator in all areas of civil litigation but, in particular, is known for his expertise in property litigation (recommended in the Legal 500) and obtaining injunctions in complicated cases. Matt is also expert in commercial and employment law disputes.
Matt is a trained barrister, a scholar of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple and a Chartered Litigator and Advocate (CILEX Lawyer) who has independent practise rights. Matt’s time before Boys & Maughan included being a self-employed advocate and an academic teaching law at the University of Portsmouth.
Matt is also committed to resolving disputes outside of the court process and is accredited by the ADR Group as a mediator. Matt often utilises mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution to resolve impasses and achieve outcomes to the benefits of his clients where such resolutions were thought impossible.
Matt supports the University of Kent in many guises relating to developing the next generation of lawyers including founding and running the annual Boys & Maughan Civil Advocacy Competition.
Click on the links below for examples of Matt Champ's work or download Matt's PDF profile for more details.
- Securing an interim injunction to prevent trespass and harassment from a neighbour
- How to sell a house when one partner refuses at the end of a relationship
- Matt’s leaseholder client was put under severe pressure to vacate their livery yard. Responding, Matt swiftly sought a without notice pre-action injunction to prevent the third party from being able to go through with her threats.
- Quickly dealing with a problem involving an ex-partner refusing to give authority for the former family home to be sold a week before completion
- A heart-warming story of how Matt built a great relationship with his clients, saving them over £500k and enabling them to keep their family home
- Success in the Chancery Division for Matt Champ as he helps resolve significant uncertainty for a local social club
- Resisting an application by a utility company to obtain a warrant of entry onto a client's land
- Success in the Court of Appeal responding to a contempt of court appeal.