Matt is a Partner based at our Margate office who deals with a broad range of civil litigation instructions on behalf of businesses, public bodies, charities and individuals. You can call Matt on 01843 269302.
Known for being approachable and responsive, Matt has particular expertise in:
- Property litigation
- Employment law
- Commercial litigation, and
- Injunctive relief.
Matt holds LLB and LLM degrees in law from the University of Portsmouth. He then trained as a barrister and was Called to the Bar in 2011 after winning a major scholarship from Middle Temple. After being Called, Matt worked as a freelance advocate in the City and on the South Eastern circuit, appearing before the courts on a daily basis.
After various legal roles, Matt taught undergraduate and postgraduate law at the University of Portsmouth, including land law, advocacy, evidence, contract and tort and was also published in academic journals and practitioner publications.
However, after missing life in legal practise, Matt then ventured into a leading Legal 500 litigation team in Exeter, Devon.
Returning to Kent, Matt joined Boys & Maughan in December 2015 and qualified as a Chartered Legal Executive in 2017 before becoming the firm’s first ever Chartered Litigator and Advocate in 2018. This is an additional professional qualification that entitles Matt to carry out reserved legal activities, the same as a solicitor, without being supervised and to exercise his own rights of audience in open court.
Matt was invited to join the Partnership at the age of 30 in 2019.
Matt is presently listed in the Legal 500 as a recommended lawyer in property litigation and has extensive experience of running, in his own right, multi-track cases in the High Court and also cases before the Court of Appeal. Matt’s cases have also been reported in the law reports.
When not representing clients, Matt likes to give back to the legal profession and designs and runs the annual Boys & Maughan Advocacy Competition for law students at the University of Kent.
Valued for his commitment to his clients, his no-nonsense attitude and his love of getting on with things, Matt has endeared himself to his client base.
Click on the links for examples of Matt Champ's work
- How to sell a house when one partner refuses at the end of a relationship
- Matt’s leaseholder client was put under severe pressure to vacate their livery yard. Responding, Matt swiftly sought a without notice pre-action injunction to prevent the third party from being able to go through with her threats.
- Swiftly dealing with a problem involving an ex-partner refusing to give authority for the former family home to be sold a week before completion
- A heart-warming story of how Matt built a great relationship with his clients, saving them over £500k and enabling them to keep their family home
- Success in the Chancery Division for Matt Champ as he helps resolves significant uncertainty for a local social club
- Resisting an application by a utility company to obtain a warrant of entry onto a client's land
- Success in the Court of Appeal responding to a contempt of court appeal.